This time, it must be different!

 

This Time Will Be Different: A Short Book on Making Permanent Changes by Martin Meadows

Audio book review 

Right from the prologue, I could see resonance with my life and my struggles to make changes in my life. Martin uses stories through out the book to illustrate the struggles and negotiations one has with oneself when trying to make changes. The struggle is real. 

He uses the analogy of "Super Heros" and "Mere Mortals" the former being those who can stick to resolutions and keep going till they make the changes they envisioned and the latter those unable to make permanent changes after they set goals. The mere mortals start off with the best intentions but often fall off the horse and unable to get back on. 

He introduces the 4 step STAR process to overcome inaction. 


Start  - helps you link a permanent change to a current lifestyle. 
Traction - gives you actionable advice on how to gain momentum to progress 
Adherence - shows you how you stick with it to be successful.
Refinement - helps you maintain the success of completing the set goal

He gives a quick overview of motivators and negative stimulus. The question "How does the future look if you want to maintain the current status quo?" 
Got me thinking about my failed fitness journey. 

I found this book at time, I had been struggling to stick to my goals of making a permanent lifestyle change. I was on a fitness journey but I had failed to maintain it...I promised myself 2022 will be different so I needed all the help I can get. 

If there is no negative stimulus or if there is no intense pain, you will not change. 
As fate would have it... I experienced what I would call a hint of negative stimulus first hand this week. I had a scare with my health due to abnormally high blood pressure. The thought of being at a verge of a stroke or heart attack as a result and being on medication for the rest of my life , sent shivers down my spine. I know how badly this could all end up if I don't choose to have a fit and healthy body. 

The book provides actionable steps in each chapter and is short and straight to the point - must read and action by anyone wanting to make permanent change in life.  
I completed the STAR exercise which Martin take you through step by step until you have a concrete action plan and checks. I will share my plan and my success in meeting my goals in a future blog. 

Here's to making it different this time. 



Comments